Creating an online dating profile can be scary. After all, it's not always easy to big yourself up without sounding full of yourself or (even worse) desperate!
So, here are 15 tips to make your online dating profile work extra hard…
1. Ask a friend for help: Get a friend to help you write your profile. Sometimes they know us better than we know ourselves, and you know, sometimes it’s nice to be told our best traits.
2. Avoid clichés: Even if you do like “walking on the beach” or “drinking wine in front of a roaring fire” leave it out! Think of something interesting that could be a conversation starter or if you insist on including walks on the beach say when, where and perhaps include a pic.
3. List sociable hobbies: People have to imagine how they’ll fit into your life, so describing yourself as a “bookworm or internet obsessed” won’t help you. Play up your love of anything sporty and outdoorsy – like concerts and exhibitions.
4. LIGHTS. CAMERA. ACTION: Wouldn't you know, profile pics that show you playing an instrument or downhill skiing – even when your face isn’t showing – get more attention.
5. Be positive: Avoid negative tones and always be positive about yourself. Your profile is essentially your dating CV. You wouldn’t want a future employer to read anything negative, so why would you want a potential partner.
6. Honesty: Be honest. They will find out!
7. Be specific: (see point 2). Talk in specifics, where’s your favourite place, why is it there?
8. Update regularly: Keep your profile up to date. We all change, your profile should too.
9. Check your grammar: It’s a magic little tool called ‘spell check’.
10. Say cheese: A recent poll found that 96% of people would rather see a big, happy grin in a profile photo than a sexy pout – no duck face or trout pouts please!
11. Choose recent photos: If they are more than a year old, delete. One of the most common complaints about online dating profiles is “they may have looked like that once but they certainly don’t look like that now”.
12. Keep it short and sweet: Women have a tendency to write too much because we enjoy reading long profiles. Men, not so much! Imagine you are doing an icebreaker introduction where you have to sum yourself quickly.
13. Have fun: Most people want to find someone who can make them laugh, so show people you have a sense of humour.
14. Be the focus: Don’t choose a pic where you could be one of three people. You don’t want to have to reply correct someone who thinks they’re calling you gorgeous.
15. Summer love: Research has found that people in summery photographs are seen as more attractive than in winter pics. So make your recent photos work for you this winter.
Join Forth 1 Dating free today.